Navigate Up
Sign In

Miscellaneous Family Matters

The following provides general information about some common requests that do not involve the filing of a case.

Birth, Death, Marriage, or Divorce Certificate

Requests for birth, death, marriage, or death certificates should not be made to the courts. If you want a copy of a certificate, contact the county clerk in the county where the event took place. There may be a charge to receive copies of any such certificate. Find the county clerk in your county.
Birth, death, marriage, and divorce records are maintained by the Vital Records Office of the Department of Community Health in Lansing, Michigan. See information about ordering or correcting records.

Filing a Will for Safekeeping

If you have a will and want the court to keep it safe, you can file the will with the probate court. The fee for filing a will for safekeeping is $25.00. Find the probate register in your county.


Marriage Ceremony

If you want information on how to get a marriage license, contact the county clerk's office in the county where you live. Find the county clerk in your county.
In Michigan, a marriage ceremony can be performed by district, municipal, or probate court judges; district court magistrates; federal court judges; mayors; county clerks; and ordained ministers of the gospel.
If you want the court to perform your marriage, contact the court to see if an appointment is necessary. For the actual marriage ceremony, you will need to bring the marriage license and two witnesses with you to court. Most officials performing the wedding will have a prearranged set of vows, but the only legal requirement is for the couple getting married to solemnly state in front of an official and the two witnesses that they take each other as husband and wife. After the ceremony, the person performing the marriage and the witnesses will sign the marriage license, then the official will give you a copy and send the original marriage license to the county clerk. The fee for this service is $10.00.

Statutory Will

A will is a written instrument whereby a person makes a disposition of his or her property to take effect after his or her death. The Michigan Legislature has provided a "statutory will" that can be used in certain situations. See MCL 700.2519 for details. See also publication, Peace of Mind, published by the Michigan Legislature that contains information about planning a statutory will.